I have released an improved version of easy_update.  It is available via
github:  https://github.com/FredHutch/easybuild-life-sciences/   In the Scripts
directory. The README.md file in the scripts directory is the man page for
easy_update.  Please file and issue with our repo if you encounter problems.

Many bugs have been fixed and there are a few new features.

--search [package name] easy_update will search a repository for a single
package on the command line.  The output is in a format that can be cut/pasted
into and easyconfig file.

--meta Output all metadata about a package from a repository. This is handy for
debugging issues with a package.

--pyver, --rver, --biocver; These three flag are to be used with the Search
feature. Either use pyver for PyPi or rver and biocver for searching CRAN and
BioConductor.

At the FredHutch we have combined R packages and BioCondutor packages into a
single R package. To implement having packages from multiple repositories in
one easyconfig the variable; biocver must be defined.

I hope you can find this tool useful,

John Dey
HPC Operations
SciComp Computing