Thu, 16 Feb 1995 11:18:32 -0700, Kameshwari S. Pothukuchi wrote:
>I know that this may seem trivial to some, but "political correctness" is 
>a derogatory label attached by the right wing, and status-quo 
>hierarchists to efforts that seek to be politically conscious, inclusive 
>and questioning of the canon.  I would not define politically questioning 
>of the status quo, or efforts at inclusiveness by using the language of 
>the opposers of such efforts.  By so doing, you are implicitly accepting 
>their political frameworks. Kami.

I don't think it's a trivial matter. Labels are instruments of power!

In my network here in Australia, we often use the term "ideologically 
sound" (I am not sure how widespread it is). This does not have the 
derogatory connotations of "politically correct", but does share the 
problem of being potentially elitist/moralistic/judgemental ("my view is 
right, yours is wrong") - which the right-wing backlash frequently 
alludes to.

What other options are there?

Personally, since we are constantly finding that what seems to be just/
inclusive/nondiscriminatory is actually problematic, I'd like a phrase 
that conveys the ongoing struggle, the fact that it's a process rather 
than an endpoint, that we can't be complacent about it and assume we've 
done the right thing. I'm more comfortable saying that I try to do the 
right thing, and admitting that I frequently stuff up. (And sometimes, if 
I'm lucky, someone will respectfully challenge me).

What terms do other people use?

Melissa Raven
_____________________________________________________

Melissa Raven
Associate Lecturer
National Centre for Education & Training on Addiction
Flinders University of South Australia
BEDFORD PARK  SA  5042
AUSTRALIA
Telephone   61(0)8 201 7557
Fax         61(0)8 201 7550
Email       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
_____________________________________________________
>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fri Feb 17 05:24:42 MST 1995
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 07:30:09 -0500 (EST)
From: Jayne S Docherty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Political correctness
In-Reply-To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]/PC_3.2.3_Beta_2>

On Thu, 16 Feb 1995, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Personally, since we are constantly finding that what seems to be just/
> inclusive/nondiscriminatory is actually problematic, I'd like a phrase 
> that conveys the ongoing struggle, the fact that it's a process rather 
> than an endpoint, that we can't be complacent about it and assume we've 
> done the right thing. I'm more comfortable saying that I try to do the 
> right thing, and admitting that I frequently stuff up. (And sometimes, if 
> I'm lucky, someone will respectfully challenge me).

A loud "AMEN" from this corner.  Our language is not dynamic enough to 
encompass this idea, but we do need to find or invent a phrase that 
conveys exactly this process and willingness to learn combined with "good 
intentions"....  I don't have one right off the top of my head, but hope 
we can work on it collectively...  Wouldn't it be great to coin this 
phrase and then take it out to our other communities and see it really 
catch on?

Jayne Docherty
Institute for Conflict Analysis and Resolution
George Mason University
Fairfax, VA  22030-4444
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to