I know that this may seem trivial to some, but "political correctness" is 
a derogatory label attached by the right wing, and status-quo 
hierarchists to efforts that seek to be politically conscious, inclusive 
and questioning of the canon.  I would not define politically questioning 
of the status quo, or efforts at inclusiveness by using the language of 
the opposers of such efforts.  By so doing, you are implicitly accepting 
their political frameworks. Kami.

p.s. I will try and get some sources for you if I can.

On Thu, 16 Feb 1995, Long, David wrote:

> 
> Could anyone please recommend examples of politically correct or at least 
> gender unbiased text books for primary and secondary school students?  Are 
> there any publishing houses out there that specialize in this?  I am looking 
> for all subjects, but most especially social studies and history...  Please 
> send to me (David Long) or my colleague Jaimie Anne Carboy.  Thanks in 
> advance and I apologize for cross-postings.
> 
> David Long
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Jaimie Anne Carboy
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 
> 
>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thu Feb 16 14:53:13 MST 1995
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 13:58:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Dancing Hummingbird /aka Joy Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: re: ecofeminism and social ecology
In-Reply-To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Just delurking for the moment, I want to say first: this is a fascinating 
and interesting group of people!  Hi!

Anyway, since I am an Earth Worshipper and i regard the Earth as my
mother, and ecology/environment are aspect of the Mother, that I find
nothing dominating in the word "eco-feminist".  It's basically to me just
saying what kind of feminist you are, and where your focus is.  I look at
the desecration of the environment as intrically related to the oppression
of women, the mind set that allows both is the same...(the Earth, a living
being was first regarded as a goddess, when we desacralized Her, it was
much easier to desacralize women, oppress them, and then in turn treat
other races as inferior as well).  Once we regard a forest as a bunch of
trees that we can use and do whatever we want to with, once we think of
those trees as our property, then they cease to be a living organism
(ecology) and we can do whatever we wish with no guilt (after all it's *my
property*, I can cut all the trees if I *want* to).  If we regard the
forest as a living being and as sacred, however, what we do in the forest,
what we gather from that forest is much more thoughtfully done, we treat
the forest with respect, because we know that we will want to have that
forest there for a long time.  I don't know if my analogy is a clear one,
but I think that the same thing happened in the case of women.  When war
first started (the first one we really know about was reported in the Epic
of Gilgamesh), it started when people turned away from the sacred. 
Gilgamesh rejected Ishtar.  Women became booty to be won in exchange for
risking one's life on the field of battle.  Women became objectified into
uterus' with legs, chattel, and the rein of the Sky Gods, who dominated
over the world (The Earth Mother) began.  Since these Gods dominated over
the men, the men in turn dominated over the women, because that was the
role model that the culture had set up as the paradigm.  We are still
living with that today, but women are starting to say "No more!". 

I find it incredibly interesting that environmentalism, feminism and 
Neo-paganism have all come into being at about the same time.  I think 
that they are integrally connected.

Joy Williams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Scion in the Church of All Worlds
"The Garrulous Grok Flok"
Thou Art Goddess!

Reply via email to