-----Original Message-----
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Malcolm McCallum
Sent: Monday, 22 May, 2006 06:45
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: Environmentalist definition? Re: env science programs

Environmentalist is a buzzword that I do not believe professionals =
should use in describing themselves. =20

Environmentalists denotes activism and in the public eye brings to mind =
the hippies from South Park.  (whether this be right or not). =20
=20
Environmental Scientists are professionals and should avoid this =
confusion in the public's eye.  An environmental biologist, chemist, =
economist, statistician should refer to themselves as and env. biol, =
env. chem. env. econ, or env. statistician.  These are important =
distinctions that do not mean much to the professional, but do mean a =
lot in regard to whether or not the public takes your comments =
seriously, especially if the person is extremely right wing.=20
=20
My opinion.  Maybe I'll write it up as a commentary for a journal =
sometime!
=20
VISIT THE JOURNAL HERPETOLOGICAL CONSERVATION AND BIOLOGY =
www.herpconbio.org <http://www.herpconbio.org>=20
=20
Malcolm L. McCallum
Assistant Professor