We have been using turnitin.com more and more in our classes at Southern
Illinois University.  The database is extensive and contains all papers
submitted to it before, in addition to journal articles, etc...  The
instructor can set up an account for the class, and students can submit
their papers through the account.  The student can use it to measure the
amount of plagiarism (i.e., some red flags will pop up if common phrases are
used) and make corrections before making the final submission.

I also talk about plagiarism at the beginning of my classes and explain why
it violates the student code of conduct and is unethical.  The turnitin.com
provides a method for them to assess and correct their own work, which can
be a positive and powerful training tool.  Hopefully, it won't be abused by
students who want to check whether they can get away with plagiarizing a
seemingly obscure article or book chapter.

Loretta Battaglia, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Department of Plant Biology and Center for Ecology
Mailcode 6509
Carbondale, Illinois 62901-6509
TEL:  +1 618 453 3216
FAX:  +1 618 453 3441