How do people feel about "plagiarizing" your own work?  I once
reviewed a paper where 2/3 of the Discussion section was identical to
the author's Discussion section from his previous paper published in a
journal that held the copyright.  The author even switched the order
of these identical paragraphs suggesting that the plagiarism was
intentional.  The editor, much to my surprise, did not reprimand the
author, rather he accepted the paper under the provision that the
author rewrite the Discussion.  Was this the correct response on the
part of the editor?  Is this even considered "plagiarism" in the minds
of our ecological community?  Is this less offensive than plagiarizing
someone else's work or is plagiarism plagiarism?

--
Jason R. Rohr, Ph.D.
Research Associate

Contact information: