The Ecological Society of America's Code of Ethics
(http://www.esa.org/aboutesa/governance/codeofethics.php)
clearly addresses plagerism

"Ecologists will not plagiarize in verbal or written communication, but
will give full and proper credit to the works and ideas of others, and
make every effort to avoid misrepresentation.

"When using ideas or results of others in manuscripts submitted for
publication, researchers will give full attribution of sources. If the
ideas or results have not been published, they may not be used without
permission of the original researcher. Illustrations or tables from other
publications or manuscripts may be used only with permission of the
copyright owner."

During the period I served as Editor in Chief for _Ecology_ and
_Ecological Monographs_ the issue of plagiarism would come up from time to
time.  I worked with the ESA Professional Ethics Committee (at that time
chaired by Kerry Woods) to develop a policy and adjudication procedure.
That policy, reproduced below, is available on the ESA publications
website (http://esapubs.org/esapubs/conditions.htm#Eth).

"Adherence to the ESA Code of Ethics"

"Authors should adhere to the ESA Code of Ethics; it deals with
authorship, plagiarism, fraud, unauthorized use of data, copyrights,
errors, confidentiality, intellectual property, attribution, willful delay
of publication, and conflicts of interest, as well as other matters that
are not specific to the publication process. The following general
principles will be adhered to in dealing with situations where an author's
ethics are in question.

"--- Manuscripts submitted to ESA journals are confidential. We will
not normally reveal whether an author has submitted a manuscript to us or
what a particular manuscript might contain, unless the authors ask that we
do so. To do otherwise would be to compromise the ability of an author to
obtain proper credit for his or her discoveries.

"--- In the event that a private individual reports to us concerns
about the ethics of a particular author, we will take note of such
concerns and watch for any manuscript by that author that might represent
questionable ethical practices.

"--- If ESA has reason to doubt the ethical practices of an author of a
manuscript, either because of concern raised by an editor, or because of
information obtained from some other source, the Editor-in-Chief will
process the manuscript in accordance with normal practice, but will
simultaneously refer the matter to the ESA Professional Ethics Committee
for review. The Committee will conduct whatever investigation it feels
appropriate, taking care not to inadvertently damage the reputation of any
of the parties concerned. The Editor-in-Chief will received the advice of
the Committee and decide a course of action in consultation with the
Executive Director of the Society."

      Robert K. Peet, Professor & Chair         Phone:  919-962-6942
      Curriculum in Ecology, CB#3275            Fax:    919-962-6930
      University of North Carolina              Cell:   919-368-4971
      Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3275  USA          Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    http://www.unc.edu/depts/ecology/
                  http://www.bio.unc.edu/faculty/peet/