Alan -
Last year (I think) there was an article in the Chronicle of Higher
Education about such plagiarism.  I think it is more common than is
generally acknowledged.

There is another form of plagiarism or intellectual dishonesty too, and that
is being a grant reviewer and starting the proposed work in your own lab (or
passing it to a colleague).  This is especially a problem in well funded,
competitive laboratories where there is extra money to pick up new projects,
or take off on a project aligned with work already going on.

I personally think the problem is a matter of ethics, or lack thereof.
Diane Henshel

--
Diane Henshel
Indiana University