This is an interesting discussion.

Why do we want to put a square peg into a round hole?  So despite the
fact that ANOVA is robust to all of these problems with normality and
variance heterogeneity, why use it in this case? There are lots of
techniques for modeling ordinal or categorical data (e.g. log-linear
models, logistic regression etc.).  These won't pretend the response
variable is continuous (like ANOVA or Regression would) and,  I'm
certain with binomially distributed data, logistic regression is much
more powerful than the arc-sine sqrt transformed ANOVA.  Also, with the
availability of generalized linear models in many different statistical
packages (e.g. R, SAS, etc..) there's no need to try and force things
to fit into an ANOVA framework when the data clearly don't.

Cheers,

Sean