Colleagues,

We are considering revising our course curriculum for our B.S. Biology
degree with a concentration in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.  Many
of us feel that more training in statistics and experimental design will
be beneficial to our graduates seeking professional positions and entry
into research-based graduate programs.  Our current requirements are as
follows:

1. A core curriculum (16 hours) required of all Biology majors that
includes introductory Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Cellular and
Molecular Biology, Botany and Zoology
2.  Chemistry (Introductory I and II with lab, Organic I and either
Biochemistry with a lab or Organic II with a lab
3. Two semesters of Physics
4. Calculus and one semester of introductory statistics
5. And many upper level biology courses

With our general education requirements (we are a public Liberal Arts
College), this makes it a full 4 to 4.5 year schedule for graduation.

We are discussing cutting back on the amount of chemistry (through
Organic I) and Physics (only 1 semester) and instead having our students
take additional courses in Statistics (Linear Regression and Anova) and
experimental design and analysis.

My questions to the group is this:  What are the entrance requirements
to ecology graduate programs in terms of course work?  Which would
better prepare students for a research-based graduate program or
professional position, additional chemistry and physics or additional
statistical training.

We would not want to limit our graduates chances of entering a graduate
program by failing to meet entrance requirements in terms of
supplemental science coursework.  Please provide your thoughts.

Feel free to answer off the list.

Thanks,

Jonathan

--