I agree that interaction between ecosystems and humans can (and probably
should) be incorporated into an ecology class.  Creating a
multidisciplinary course including sociology, political science, etc. is
not the purpose of an ecology class.  Throwing in a single chapter
explaining the difference between environmnental science and ecology might
be warranted.  Human Ecology is an important area of ecology that is often
ignored, outside of a life tables lab.  So, we could do a better job of
that.

Ecology is the partially applied and partially theoretical, but it is a
single discpline.  Environmental Sciences is much more diverse.  Although
ecologists work in the environmental sciences, so do geologists, chemists,
sociologists, economists, political scientists, and an array of other
disciplinarians.  An environmental scientist typically specializes in one
of these disciplines, but is also trained to work in this multidiscplinary
environment.  IT is a completely different thing from raw ecology.

I have noticed that few introductory environmental texts really address
this appropriately.  They are usually watered down ecology texts that
emphasize conservation and resource use.  Environmental Science is a field
that sprung out of the Environmental Policy Act (1969) and the need for an
Environmental Impact Statement.  The majority of an EIS has little to do
with biology/ecology. A typical team on an EIS involves chemists,
geologists, biologists, engineers, anthropologists, archaeologists, etc.

It is interesting to me that modern environmental science is a much
different thing than the old 1970's degree program that typically amounted
to water treatment, often referred to as a "poor man's chemistry degree."
Today, an EVS person is a very specialized scientist who works in a
multidisciplinary environment.  Ecologists do draw from multiple
disciplines, but not to near the same degree.

On Fri, August 17, 2007 4:29 am, William Silvert wrote:
> While I agree that ecology courses should deal with ecology, I wonder
> whether there is enough emphasis on the interaction of ecosystems with
> humans. I am not an educator so I do not know what the current teaching
> trends are, but I wonder to what extent topics such as the properties of
> heavily fished ecosystems are covered in coursework. Do students
> understand
> the population dynamics of populations where there is high infant
> mortality
> as opposed to high adult mortality, for example? Effects of habitat
> modification, and so on.
>
> I hope that we do not fall into the same situation that we see in the
> split
> between anthropology and sociology, where once "civilisation" starts to
> affect primitive tribes the anthropologists walk away but the sociologists
> are not yet interested, so this critical period receives too little
> attention.
>
> Bill Silvert

Malcolm L. McCallum
Assistant Professor of Biology
Editor Herpetological Conservationa and Biology
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]