Not to start yet another holy war here, but I'd say that although the evidence
is overwhelming in support of evolution as the mechanism responsible for the
diversity of life we see today, there is NO evidence that the hand of any
deity or supernatural power had anything to do with it (...not even the
fairies in my garden...go ahead, prove they don't exist!).

Although I probably can't change the mind of anyone with a predisposition to
faith, I'd hope that such a belief doesn't make it into the classroom where
teaching science is concerned. Our country is far enough behind in the
sciences without that baggage. I believe that it truly is irrational and
incompatible that anything supernatural could or should be used to explain
observable phenomena

Cheers,

Mike

p.s. I find it very peculiar that your god (Yahweh, I assume) is always
refered to as masculine (e.g., 'He' and 'His' in the email below).  Is this
because man was created in God's image (after most of the rest of
evolutionary history took place) and woman was created later?  And if so,
where is my missing rib? ;)

--
Michael W. Sears, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor

phone: 618-453-4137
web:    http://www.science.siu.edu/zoology/people/sears.html
        http://www.ecology.siu.edu

"Natural selection is a mechanism for generating an exceedingly
high degree of improbability"  Sir Ronald A. Fisher (1890-1962)