> I was pleased to see this in the NY Times, but

Yes, it's good to see an article critical of corn
ethanol in one of the flagship papers of the
mainstream media.

But it doesn't mention a couple crucial issues:

1.  Energy Return On Energy Invested (EROEI, aka EROI,
aka Net Energy, as addressed by Odum's 'emergy'
analyses), which appears to be rather low, at best, or
negative, at worst.

2.  The heavy dependence of this "renewable" energy on
non-renewable oil and natural gas in various stages of
the chain, from fertilizers to transport to
post-harvest processing.

Treating the issue as a question of economics alone
misses the boat - but I guess that's to be expected,
considering the source.

Joe Gathman

http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html