"I sometimes wonder whether this is a uniquely American phenomenon. I never
ran into creationists and the like in Canada, and certainly not in Europe.
There are lots of fanatical Europeans, but they seem to steer clear of
scientific issues."

Michael Ruse argues that the religion-science divide is largely due to the
evangelical roots of religion in this country and ramifications of the civil
war (agricultural versus industrialism). In contrast, in Europe, the legacy
of the Catholic church, Inquisition and Reformation have all reduced the
tolerance for religious intrusions into other realms.

Whether that is an over simplification, I don't know.

Ned

Ned Dochtermann

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.unr.nevada.edu/~dochterm/
775-784-6781

Graduate Group in Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Biology
Fleischman Agriculture Building, Room 145
University of Nevada, Reno
"Beyond such discarded fundamentals as 'matter" and 'force' lies still
another amidst the inscrutable arcana of modern science, namely, the
category of cause and effect."
Karl Pearson