Hi Bill,
I have to disagree with your assertion that diesels are dirtier than gasoline cars of the same type. It's just not true, or at least not completely true. I have seen and read the UCS "Diesel Dilemma" report, and found it very disappointing, their preconceptions and bias are obvious from the introduction and executive summary. Plus, their assertion is that diesel is not a _cost-effective_ means of reducing emissions, not that it is actually dirtier (though they do imply that idea). Scientifically, I have a problem their use of at least two 'correction factors', notably: the 19% lower "on-road performance" of diesel vs. similar sized gasoline engines, and the conversion (25%!) of diesel mpg into mpgge (miles per gallon of gasoline equivalent) simply because there is a higher btu value in diesel fuel. Both of these are flawed for obvious reasons. I can promise everyone out there that diesel engines are plenty powerful (not like those old 30hp VW Rabbits of the '80s), and drive as well or better than gasoline engines of the same displacement. And every barrel of crude oil is converted into different portions of gasoline, kerosene, diesel/heating oil, wax, asphault, etc. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Crude_Oil_Distillation.png), so there's no reason to adjust for btu content. Despite these issues, their results show marginal benefits, if any, of gasoline over diesel. I can't even tell where in their results they show that gasoline is better for the environment. In fact, it appears that they show the opposite (see table 3, and look at the 'lifetime global warming pollution savings' rows), where the current diesel technology will result in 13 tons in lifetime pollution savings. The meat of their study appears to show that diesel cars are slightly more expensive than similar gasoline versions. But again, this is based on the assumption that these cars have identical lifespans, which simply isn't true, not to mention that cost is irrelevant in this particular discussion.
Some other problems I would like to note:
Table 4 shows particulate emissions from 1977-1989 diesel vehicles, but compares that with 1985-1997 gasoline vehicles. Tables 5&6 show the potential health hazards of diesel exhaust, but no gasoline exhaust as a comparison.

If I understand the report correctly, they are saying that it will be better to focus on spending money on improving gasoline engine technology rather than diesel. Why this is so important that it warrants a public report, I can't say. Plus, their results appear to show the opposite!

Anyway, enough about the UCS study. As far as real world data about emissions...I haven't been able to find any simple assessments of this. Best I can do is this recent summary from a NOAA climatologist (it's not exactly peer-reviewed, but does have citations):
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/Diesel.pdf

The basic ideas that I have been able to collect are that NOx and particulate matter (PM) are higher in diesels. Although both are being addressed with new technology, and even the PM levels are debatable. Diesels probably produce more large-particle PM (and total mass), gasolines produce more small-particle PM (which may be more harmful to human health). Gasoline-burning engines, even the newest technology, produce more CO2, CO, O3, VOC, and other toxics like benzene. Add all this to the notable difference in toxicity of the fuel itself (gasoline has oxygenated additives [remember MTBE?]), and the fact that gasoline vaporizes at something like 200x the rate that diesel fuel does. Plus, the catalytic converters on modern diesels are pretty rudimentary, and last quite a long time...the cats on most gasoline engines have a limited lifespan, after which emissions are increased drastically. So in summary, there is definitely a tradeoff. Diesels produce more NOx and (probably) PM. Gasoline, more CO2 and a host of other toxic chemicals. Hybrids = good, diesel hybrids = great. Riding a bike = priceless!!!

Jay

William Adair wrote:
Hello Jay (and fellow ECOLOGGERS),

Your message describes the emissions associated with diesels as "negligible,"
which certainly comes as a surprise to me, a dedicated bicyclist (and motorcyclist) with
a history of respiratory problems.

As the situation currently stands, diesels certainly do have their advantages (efficiency
and longevity), but they also have considerable disadvantages too.  Most notably, diesel
emissions are still quite dirty relative to comparable vehicles with gasoline engines.
The Union of Concerned Scientists has described this trade-off as "The Diesel
Dilemma," and has examined the problem in great detail:
http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_vehicles/fuel_economy/the-diesel-dilemma.html

Certainly the quality and kind of fuel is an important consideration.  Here in
Utah, the federal low-sulfur-fuel standards have made a huge difference.  For
example, getting passed by a typical diesel pickup truck is no longer a
life-threatening experience.  UCS addresses the biodiesel question here:
http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_vehicles/big_rig_cleanup/biodiesel.html

If anyone can offer data that contradicts their conclusions, I would be glad to
see it.

Hopefully the situation will start to change in 2009, when new Tier II diesels
must satisfy a far more stringent set of standards.  In the meantime, I will
rely on the UCS analysis and my own personal experience, which suggests that
diesels are good for their drivers and bad for everyone else.

happy trails
bill a