Hi Bob -

You bring up a good point, that despite their critiques of the growth economy,
ecological economists have too infrequently described the policies needed to
bring about an alternative to the growth economy.  Herman Daly does an
excellent job of that at http://www.theoildrum.com/node/3941

His article outlines ten policy steps toward a steady-state economy.  It’s
important to recognize that a steady state economy does not look like a failed
growth economy (or an economy in recession) – he compares the two to the
difference between a helicopter designed to hover versus an airplane designed
to fly forward, which is incapable of hovering.

Some of Daly’s proposals may seem to be more feasible than others, and indeed
some are undergoing debate in serious political circles (e.g., Obama’s cap and
dividend proposal for climate change legislation) while others are recognized
by most ecologists as important but political third rails (e.g., population
stabilization).

Interestingly most ecologists I’ve talked with who get squeamish about
criticizing growth have no problem agreeing that a sustainable economy should
respect key environmental thresholds – whether for climate change, endangered
species survival, or avoidance of eutrophication of aquatic systems.  My
response is that an economy designed to respect those limits, plus a safety
margin for uncertainty, would start to look an awful lot like a steady state
economy.  Once sustainability is taken care of, it’s not far to the rest of
Daly’s policies to address economic justice and efficiency - distribution,
employment, international trade, and distribution of rents to land, labor, and
capital.

Other authors addressing policy tools to move toward a steady state economy
include Peter Barnes’ book “Capitalism 3.0”, Bill McKibben’s “Deep Economy”,
and Lawn, P. 2004. Reconciling the policy goals of full employment and
ecological sustainability.  International Journal of Environment, Workplace,
and Employment 1 (1): 62-81.  No doubt there are other good sources out there.

Regards,
Ken Bagstad

PhD candidate
Gund Institute for Ecological Economics
University of Vermont

Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Economic growth

Hi Brian and list,

Thank you for these replies and the article.  It's very interesting
and I agree with much of it.  However, it doesn't present any data or
models that address any of the points I made earlier.  The paper
concentrates largely on the failure of technology to mitigate the
environmental damage of growth.  I think that's well established, as
evidenced by the numerous citations in the article (not to suggest
that the article wasn't a worthwhile effort though).  I agree with
that, and I certainly realize that developed countries depend on third
world degradation.  I simply think that there are much more immediate
and effective ways that ESA could influence matters than by taking a
stand on 'economic growth' and relying on macroeconomic forces to
change things.  Not only is that a nonstarter, what would it do?  How
would economic growth be limited?  By manipulating interest rates so
people can't afford to buy a house?  By lowering government R&D
expenditures?  Lowering the minimum wage?  Banning immigration? It all
seems pretty grandiose to me, what are the specific measures that
would be taken to limit economic growth? It is not enough just to say
we need to stop holding GDP in such high regard. I looked at Brian's
website, the Center for the Advancement of the Steady State Economy
and I couldn't find any recommendations of specific mechanisms for
limiting growth.  Their position statement includes the following two
statements.

4)  Economic growth, as gauged by increasing GDP, is an increasingly
dangerous and anachronistic goal, especially in wealthy nations with
widespread affluence, and;

In principal I agree with this.  But there are huge issues with
distribution of wealth, even in 'wealthy' countries, that this simple
statement ignores.

7)  A steady state economy does not preclude economic development, a
dynamic, qualitative process in which different technologies may be
employed and the relative prominence of economic sectors may evolve,

This statement means nothing to me. It certainly is not the definition
of a steady state. Apparently it suggests that as long as GDP stays
constant, everything else can change.  If one sector declines, another
can go up.  That sounds a lot like what I said before.

It seems to me that what's needed is much greater regulation and
economic incentives.  Maybe ESA could, for example, take a stand on
subsidies to wasteful farming practices, or on environmental
requirements for trade agreements.  Maybe we could argue that ecology
is actually more important to the nation, at this point, than new
weapons, space exploration and wider highways. The technology to
vastly change things, as Paul pointed out, is there to a large extent.
 Obviously it needs to be done internationally.  I'll leave my opinion
at that.

Anachronistically yours,
Bob

On 11/22/08, Czech, Brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> recognized, summarized and addressed in the attached article in press at
> Conservation Biology, "Prospects for reconciling the conflict between
> economic growth and biodiversity conservation with technological progress."
> This article is part of a 4-article "Conservation Focus" series on economic
> growth in the upcoming December issue, and I have permission for the
> distribution of these page proofs in this venue.
>

> The political issues raised by Bob are greatly influenced by the technical
> issues.  When an adequate proportion of the public and polity understand the
> technical nature of the conflict between economic growth and environmental
> protection, national security, and international stability, the politics
> fall right into line.  That is precisely why it is so important for a
> scientific society such as the ESA to weigh in.  By leaving the technical
> issues entirely to decision makers lacking sound ecological training and
> experience, the door is wide open not only for innocent misinformation but
> for the exceedingly dangerous propaganda that "there is no conflict between
> growing the economy and protecting the environment."
>

> Also, it looks like Bob and others may not yet have noticed what is already
> happening with the politics of economic growth.  Climate change, Peak Oil,
> and financial meltdowns are very rapidly changing the rules of the game.
> People far and wide are observing the limits to growth in the real sector
> (including Peak Oil), as reflected in the monetary sector coming back to
> Earth (financial meltdowns).  They also see the effects of growth - climate
> change, pollution of all types, biodiversity loss - eroding their children's
> future.
>

> How can I claim to know this?  For one thing, I monitor the news on these
> political developments.  The steady state economy, for example, has picked
> up as a news item, and dramatically so.  For another thing, take a look at
> the organizations endorsing the CASSE position on economic growth:
>

> http://www.steadystate.org/CASSEPositionOnEG.html#anchor_90
>

> You'll see that it is not only environmental organizations advancing the
> steady state economy, but child health organizations, businesses, religious
> groups, local planning groups... even a mutual fund!
>

> So I think Bob's concerns - typical as they have been - may already be
> anachronistic.  Perhaps we should be more concerned about the ESA lagging
> behind and losing an opportunity to be recognized as a progressive leader on
> the big, policy-relevant issues of ecological sustainability.
>

> Brian Czech
>
> Natural Resources Program
>
> Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
>
> National Capital Region, Northern Virginia Center
>
> 7054 Haycock Road, Room 411
>
> Falls Church, Virginia 22043
>

> and
>

> Brian Czech, Ph.D., President
>
> Center for the Advancement of the Steady State Economy

>>> evidence (/P/ = 0.89) for a long-term (50-year) increase in the airborne

>>> http://www.climatechange.ca.gov/adaptation/meetings/index.html#091108
>>> http://www.climatechange.ca.gov/adaptation/biodiversity/index.html
>>> 2) Develop your own comments -- these may be in-depth comments based upon
>>> your expertise, or the simple statement that you think the scientific
>>> community needs to be more explicitly involved.
>>> 3) Attend the public meeting either in person or by telephone and share
>>> you
>>> comments -- Dec. 5th, 1-4 pm, Resources Agency Auditorium, 1416 9th
>>> Street,
>>> Sacramento, CA
>>> Conference Call: (916) 657-4113,
>>> http://www.climatechange.ca.gov/adaptation/biodiversity/index.html
>>> 4) Email your comments to the following contact people at the state of
>>> California on or before December 5th -- Richard Rayburn,
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED],
>>> Amber Pairis, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> 5) CC the email of your comments to [EMAIL PROTECTED] - a
>>> consolidated record of the comments from ecologists might prove very
>>> informative.
>>> 6) To go http://www.climatechange.ca.gov/adaptation/and enter you email
>>> address in the side bar to be added to the state of California's climate
>>> change adaptations list server so you will be kept informed of future
>>> policy
>>> developments.

--
Robert J. Miller
Marine Science Institute
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara CA 93106-6150
(805) 893-7295

Access your email online and on the go with Windows Live Hotmail.
http://windowslive.com/Explore/Hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_access_112008