From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ecolo...@listserv.umd.edu]on Behalf Of Phil Morefield
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 20:09
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Thank you for responding to the survey!

I disagree with, what I perceive to be, the sentiment that "cities are bad".

Is it not the case that one of the best predictors of diminished ecosystem
integrity is the presence of humans, e.g. roads, resorts, etc.? I would
argue that confining the human footprint to the smallest area possible is
crucial to preserving natural systems. As one of my professors put it many
years ago, cities can be "an efficient use of the land".

Unfortunately, as a species we have neglected to enact policy that optimizes
the potential efficiency of urban systems. Instead of encouraging dense,
mix-used development along mass transit corridors, the contemporary model
is, and has been, to build more roads, McMansions, and strip malls. (There
are numerous exceptions, but I challenge anyone to name a metropolitan area
that doesn't include a disgustingly "suburban" area).

I dread the notion of humans occupying every square hectare of land,
disturbing and modifying native flora to grow crops and polluting the
nearest stream with whatever waste is deemed unseemly by the local tenant.
In my opinion, cities provide valuable bottlenecks for pollution and the
human/nature interface.

Phil M.

Man brings all things to the test of himself,
and this is notably true of lightning.

-Aldo Leopold