Our campus is embarking on a project designed to help faculty integrate sustainability across all academic disciplines. Faculty participants in a 2-day workshop will learn about core concepts of environmental, economic, and social sustainability from resource experts who help the participants integrate sustainability into their existing courses. Through these revised courses, students will have the opportunity to explore sustainability through artistic, cultural, historical, mathematical, philosophical, and scientific lenses to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the subject. For instance, an art professor might lead a class discussion about sustainable materials and a math professor might frame math problems as they relate to the declining oyster population of the Chesapeake Bay. This integration across the disciplines helps students think critically about their local environment, fosters interdisciplinary learning and problem solving, and prepares students to find solutions to complex 21st century problems. [See more at http://www.sustainability.umd.edu/index.php?p=chesapeake_project]

I've been asked to help think about how to measure changes in student "understanding" of environmental and sustainabiltiy issues. If you have experience (or ideas) about assessments of environmental literacy, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

David Inouye
Dept. of Biology
University of Maryland