Strictly speaking, you're correct. However, the purpose of copyright
law is to reward people who do creative work. That would be us. The
journal's contribution is coordinating peer review, formatting the
paper and, most importantly, disseminating the paper. For this, they
get paid by subscribers and sometimes page charges. That seems more
than fair -- really, the for-profit journals should be paying us, the
way magazines pay writers. Allowing them to dictate what we can do
with our work after publication seems rather excessive! As a practical
matter, are there any cases of scientists being sued or prosecuted for
posting their publications on their websites?

Anyone interested in these issues should read Lawrence Lessig and John
Perry Barlow, particularly the latter's essay "The Economy of Ideas:
Selling Wine Without Bottles on the Global Net".

Jane Shevtsov

--
Jane Shevtsov

"Political power comes out of the look in people's eyes." --Kim
Stanley Robinson, _Blue Mars_