Luke and Ecolog:

Thanks for the link!

Are there any ethical issues about the practice of jobbing-out journals to for-profit entities and taking a cut for the organization? Or do organizations get anything besides a few copies of the publication for their contracts? Certainly, though, no officers of scholarly organizations would personally or professionally benefit from such "cooperation" would they? I simply do not know, and would like to be reassured that there are no issues there.

From Bergstrom and Bergstrom (Front Ecol Environ 2006; 4(9): 488-495) at the
link ( http://octavia.zoology.washington.edu/publications/BergstromAndBergstrom06.pdf ) available in their 2001 paper linked by Butler: ". . . from the broader community perspective, the scientific community as a whole would benefit if overpriced journals were displaced by journals priced at or near average cost. The fraction of library budgets that is currently going to the shareholders of large commercial publishers could instead be used to provide services of genuine value to the academic community. Professional societies and university presses could help by expanding their existing journals or starting new ones. Individual scholars could advance this process in many ways: by contributing their time and efforts to the expansion of these non-profit journals, by refusing to do unpaid referee work for overpriced commercial publications, by self-archiving their papers in preprint archives or institutional repositories, and by favoring reasonably priced journals with their submissions."

It appears to be simple and direct advice for a step in the right direction. Both of their papers (2001, 2006) contain interesting details that are shocking but not surprising. The citation data are particularly interesting. But this and a central micropayment system or institutional generosity still won't get Dr. Voltolini and unconnected researchers and the curious "public" the kind of access they once had through libraries in the paper-journal days. It took time, but it was a more level playing field. People felt good when they generously mailed off a copy (even Thermofax [R]) of a paper now and then. And before that, it was the journals or nothing. Apparently, progress is trying to take that full circle. What would some obscure clerk in some patent office do now, take out his quill pen and scratch a note to Steinmetz?

I seem to recall some relatively recent publicity regarding the quality of much of the research itself in some of the "top" (heavy?) journals that might place its/their credibility into question. Does this sound familiar; if so, can anyone provide citations/links?

Why didn't we hear about Bergstrom and Bergstrom's papers via the world media? Aren't reporters getting tipped off (phone calls, not just press-releases, please), or did the latest gossip on some teen-star's drug habit eclipse the item? Were it not for Butler and Ecolog, I wouldn't have known about their studies.

It appears that "publish or perish" is alive and well, hustling. No wonder, given the pressure on tenure-seekers. What a tangled web!

WT

Today the libraries, tomorrow the readers?

Hard-headed business analysis:

Do the for-profit publishers use pricing theory in setting their charges? Were the publications not profitable enough before pdf files, or were the latter seen as a golden goose landing in their laps? With all their resources, couldn't they read the pixels on the screen and find a way to maybe even greater profitability through increased actual quality and wider consumption of their product? Certainly they have the distinct advantage of momentum/reputation, which it would be a shame to squander, no? Even if there was a time-limited system for scanning before purchase at a reasonable rate (mimicking what one used to do in a library), the unit sales might be high enough to eventually increase profits, especially if the publishers took it upon themselves to generate a broader readership. A phenomenon to which the publishers have not yet awakened is that of a wage-earner pursuing an extra-institutional road to greater knowledge. Universities like MIT, for example, recognize that it takes little or nothing to make educational materials available to anyone with an Internet connection, which, by "lifting all boats," ensures longevity and respect in spades. Why not take the high road instead of putting obstacles in the path of learning? At long last, can the world society afford to do otherwise? The "top" journals would then gain well-deserved respect--and profits too. Better than a mass Exodus.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Luke K. Butler" <luke.but...@tufts.edu>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 6:58 PM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Open Access and Intellectual Imperialism Approval required

Carl Bergstrom and Theodore Bergstrom have produced an incredible
website about the economics of journal publishing, including
speculation about the future of open access journals.

http://octavia.zoology.washington.edu/publishing/publishing.html

Luke K. Butler
Post-Doctoral Associate
Department of Biology