in some sectors the fist author wrote the paper, the last directed it.
in other sectors, authors are listed in order of the amount of contribution.
in other sectors, they are listed in alphabetical order
Some folks always put the student first, other groups always put the
lab director or senior personnel first.

Confused?
it varies by subdiscipline in biology, by nation of origin, and even
research group.

Malcolm

--
Malcolm L. McCallum
Associate Professor of Biology

Fall Teaching Schedule & Office Hours:
Landscape Ecology: T,R 10-11:40 pm
Environmental Physiology: MW 1-2:40 pm
Seminar: T 2:30-3:30pm
Genetics: M 6-10pm
Office Hours:  M 3-6, T: 12-2, W: 3-4

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"   W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
        and pollution.
2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
        MAY help restore populations.
2022: Soylent Green is People!

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not