Well said, Daniel!  The only thing I might add is that, if one looked
carefully, one might find an apparent bias against research that fails to
find evidence for human-caused global warming or that finds evidence against
it.  This isn't because it's not PC to say that global warming isn't real or
isn't caused by humans.  Rather, it's because (1) null results are less
likely to be published, regardless of the topic, and (2) extraordinary
claims require extraordinary evidence (usually).  Failing to find evidence
for global warming or for a human role in it is a null result, and it will
be harder to publish if the research methods and analysis aren't
impeccable.  Similarly, at this point, the evidence for human-caused global
warming is strong, so a study that yields a contrary result had better have
solid methodology, if the authors want to publish.

One other possible source of apparent bias (or maybe real bias) is our
perception of what the moneyed interests would rather believe (and fund).
If every dollar in the world got to vote on whether or not human-caused
global warming is a real problem that we need to fix, I think we'd see a
landslide victory for global-warming skeptics, and I think most scientists
would predict the same result.  If this really is our perception, I'd expect
that results inconsistent with the anthropogenic global warming hypothesis
get extra scrutiny from reviewers on the grounds that any scientist that can
be bought will most likely be bought by the wealthier side of the debate.

Jim Crants