Climate change has to happen. With respect to temperature, over any
period of time temperature will go up...or go down..on average as
compared with any other period of time.

That human activities, specifically, the release of CO2 into the
atmosphere, will have serious consequences is a prediction that simply
has not borne out. Acid rain had obvious consequences that did not
require very weak tedious statistical arguments, for example.

The CO2 caused greenhouse effects predictions simply did not happen,
and that's the problem with the current climate change debate. Maybe
they could occur in the future, but as we deplete fossil fuel reserves
and normal economic forces move us away from fossil fuels, the potential
is much less than it was in any event.

My problem with this is that we have done good work in educating people
on the effects of atmospheric pollution, and as a result have had a
great effect on industrial methodology and related technologies;
reducing emissions of serious pollutants. We risk exchanging our
credibility on real issues for what looks like politically motivated
extremism on the CO2 issue.

If the CO2 argument is to be validated in any meaningful way, related
models have to make accurate elegant predictions. So far they have
failed, and mainly are used to "explain" past events; and as such
represent little more than classic pseudo science.

"So easy it seemed once found, which yet
unfound most would have thought impossible"

John Milton

Robert G. Hamilton
Professor of Biology
Department of Biological Sciences
Mississippi College
P.O. Box 4045
200 South Capitol Street
Clinton, MS 39058
Phone: (601) 925-3872
FAX (601) 925-3978

This communication may contain confidential information.  If you are
not the intended recipient or if you are not authorized to receive it,
please notify and return the message to the sender.  Unauthorized
reviewing, forwarding, copying, distributing or using this infomration
is strictly prohibited.

>>> "Raffel, Thomas" <traf...@cas.usf.edu> 12/23/2009 8:15 AM >>>

Of course ecologists try to link their research to climate change!
Everyone wants their research to sound (and hopefully be) important, and
climate change is clearly important.  Just as acid rain is important,
and species extinctions, and the hole in the ozone layer.  And yes, this
is partly motivated by a desire for funding, but also by a desire to
continue doing research on important questions.  I see nothing wrong
with this.

Claiming that global warming is a fraud because scientists use it as a
buzz-word to get funding is absurd.  Next they'll say that cancer is a
fraud, because molecular biologists and chemists use it as a buzz-word
to help obtain funding.  I wonder if even the tobacco companies ever
stooped so low.

Tom Raffel