From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ecolo...@listserv.umd.edu] On Behalf Of William Silvert
Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:06 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] now I've seen it all - says Orwell

I must take issue with the phrase "one of the few foods native to North
America" and would like to reciprocate Geoffrey's reference with a reference
to a book that my mother wrote called "The Taste Makers: How New World Foods
came to Old World Kitchens" which describes numerous foods from the Americas
which have made their way to the rest of the world. I believe that she
describes 16 different foods, and while some are from South America, many
are from the north. She did not include the Jerusalem artichoke, and I am
sure that there are other omissions as well. Since my mother, Vicki
Oppenheimer, was an anthropologist, she focussed on foods that had cultural
significance.

Information on the book can be found at http://milpah.silvert.org/tmfinal/
and the entire book can be downloaded there in PDF format for free, although
it is also in print and available for sale. Even for those who are not
foodies, there is some material of ecological interest as well.

Bill Silvert