Geoffrey, certainly pecans and hickories and their variants originated in
the US.  I assume that all of those western berries like salmon berries,
logan berries, etc. did too, just as we have wild blackberries all over the
south.  The small native persimmon also is good to eat.  Blueberries as
mentioned, maple syrup - I'm an animal ecologist so this is out of my
balliwick, but here are a few that haven't been mentioned <g>. cheers, g2

--
Gary D. Grossman, PhD

Professor of Animal Ecology
Warnell School of Forestry & Natural Resources
University of Georgia
Athens, GA, USA 30602

http://www.arches.uga.edu/~grossman

Board of Editors - Animal Biodiversity and Conservation
Editorial Board - Freshwater Biology
Editorial Board - Ecology Freshwater Fish

G. Grossman Fine Art
http://personal.negia.net/grossman