Wayne, and others,

This email was nebulous enough to where it appears to me that several concepts are being bantered around to the detriment of resolving any.

Of course all terms are relative - we humans made up language to put names on things to help us.

The problem of invasive species is important or not, depending on your particular philosophy, so you would have to come to some common grounds first to resolve what invasive is second.

The problem of invasives is just like the problem of endangered species. 99% of all species that ever lived are extinct, so we know that it is a consistent evolutionary process. Probably 99% of all species that exist started out somewhere else. However, the glitch is that in our generation, we are causing the extinction of many species at a much more rapid rate than nature ever did, and we are causing the introduction of species in new places at a rate much more rapid than nature ever did.

As Elton in his classic book on introduced species stated (here paraphrased), Because of introductions and their consequences, we will be left with a world much simpler, much less diverse, and much less interesting.

Sincerely,

Jim