Okay, I've taken the bait - or at least, I'm nibbling at it.  Earlier today
Jim Crants pretty accurately summarized the points I made off-list, for
which I thank him.  Here I'm responding to his paragraph regarding 'moral
grounds' and to his numbered paragraphs (1-4).  In order to minimize
repeated replies, I've deleted previous material, leaving only specifically
relevant passages.  I apologize for the inconvenience of having to look up
the rest, but it's probably still in your inbox.

JC: Initially, my argument was on moral grounds:  whatever negative effects
invasive species have on native species are the fault of our species (unless
a non-human disperser was responsible for the intial long-distance-dispersal
event, which very rarely happens), and, as moral agents, we are obligated to
try to undo or mitigate the harm we cause to others.  That's my Catholic
upbringing speaking, I guess, and it's apparently not a compelling argument
to someone who hasn't already reached the same moral conclusion on exotic
invasives.
MC: I think it's safe to assume many or most ecologists feel similarly
duty-bound, regardless of their particular religious or ethical training.  I
suspect (but cannot bring data to bear) that (again) many or most of us now
active became ecologists partly because we were already convinced that
ethics extend beyond human-human interactions.  As a child of the 60s and
70s, I can say that fits my experience, and seems to apply to almost every
ecologist I've talked to.  Relatively fewer of us have tried to articulate
our moral convictions in ways philosophers or theologians would consider to
be 'principled', and in my view none of us have really succeeded.  Whatever
else we are, we're animals with limited capacities.  To be very 60s indeed,
'there's nothing [we] can do that can't be done', and evidently quite a lot
we can't do.  Still, human activity has reconfigured the biosphere.
Topologically, it's like wadding up a map of the Earth so that places once
all but completely separated are now in all but direct contact.  Every major
port city touches every other.  Every major airport likewise. It's not just
the world we live in, it's the world everything else lives in, too.
Fundamentally redrawing the map by creating wholly new 'currents of
commerce' while expecting former 'rules' of dispersal to persist seems
naive. Either our morals are outdated, or our actions are immoral. But
neither has much effect on global commerce, and the distinction doesn't
matter to anything else entrained in our wake.

JC(1) Exotic species, on average, interact with fewer species than native
species, and their interactions are  weaker, on average.  In particular,
they have fewer parasites, pathogens, and predators, counted in either
individuals or species.  This is especially true of plants, and especially
non-crop plants.  I suspect, but have not heard, that exotic plants also
have fewer mycorrhizal associates than native ones, but I doubt that they
have significantly fewer pollinators or dispersers.  Meanwhile, back in
their native ranges, the same species have the same number of associations
as any other native species.
MC(1) Natural selection only produces interactions good enough to persist
under prevailing conditions; there is no gold standard. By definition, 50%
of all species interact with fewer species than average, and  50% of all
interactions are weaker than average.  Preferring stronger, more complex
interactions means preferring more tightly-coupled (and therefore) 'riskier'
systems with a higher likelihood of failure.

JC(2) Very-long-distance dispersal by humans confers a fitness advantage
over very-long-distance dispersal by other agents, on average, for two
reasons.  First, humans often disperse organisms in groups, such
as containers of seeds, shipments of mature plants and animals, or large
populations contained in ballast water, allowing them to overcome the Allee
effects (lack of mates, inbreeding depression) their populations would face
if introduced as one or a few individuals.  We also often take pains to
maximize the establishment success of organisms we disperse, by shipping
healthy, mature plants and animals and propogating them when they arrive,
while non-human dispersal agents usually introduce small numbers of
organisms, often nowhere near their peak fitness potential (e.g., seeds,
spores, starving and dehydrated animals).
MC(2). JC appears to be arguing that once rare occurrences are no longer
rare.  I agree.  But I draw the opposite conclusion, because he is arguing
that to generate such changes is morally wrong, while I am just saying: when
these conditions prevail, long distance dispersal becomes normal.

JC(3) Although the population dynamics of invasive species do not differ by
what agent introduced them (whether humans brought them, some other agent
did, or they evolved in situ), it is ecologically consequential that human
activities are generating so many more invasive species than natural
processes usually do.  Aside from maybe continents or oceans merging through
plate tectonics, nothing non-human introduces such a flood of new species to
new environments as we humans have in the last several centuries.
MC(3). See MC(2).  What was once normal is no longer normal.  'Ecologically
consequential' in this context is standing in for 'morally consequential'.
Ecologically, change is change.

JC(4) To arrive at the conclusion that the terms "native" and "exotic" (or
"alien") are ecologically meaningless, you must approach the issue this
way:  if there is no set of criteria by which one can reliably categorize an
organism as native or exotic in the absence of historical evidence, the
distinction is meaningless.  I think the valid approach is this:  if there
is no set of criteria by which one can reliably distinguish the category
"native species" from the category "exotic species" (*after* the
categorization is done based on geographic history), the distinction is
meaningless.  By analogy, the first approach is like saying that there is no
difference in height between men and women because one cannot reliably
identify the height of a person by their sex, while the second approach is
like saying that there is a difference in height between men and women
because men are, on average, significantly taller than women.
MC(4).  JC undermines his argument here by trying to make the difference
between natives and aliens morally inconsequential.  I think we can assume
that he sees no moral imperative emerging from the statistical likelihood
that men are (and have been) taller than women.  But we know he believes a
moral imperative emerges from the claims he makes in (1-3).  So his analogy
isn't really an analogy.   A better analogy would be a claim that men are,
on average, more politically powerful than women, evaluated in light of a
moral claim that no such difference should exist.  But even that analogy
would only recommend equalizing average fitness; leveling the playing field.
And it flies in the face of the "past = desired future" formula inherent in
anti-alien sentiment.  Finally, if Williamson's legendary '10s' rule is even
remotely accurate, the aliens are already disadvantaged by multiple orders
of magnitude. Long distance transport is now vastly more likely, but
establishment at the other end is still a long shot.

Matthew K Chew
Assistant Research Professor
Arizona State University School of Life Sciences

ASU Center for Biology & Society
PO Box 873301
Tempe, AZ 85287-3301 USA
Tel 480.965.8422