The translocation of species around the world can, and do, have dramatic
effects on the world's ecosystems. Well known and respected ecologists rank
these biological exchanges as one of leading threats to ecosystem integrity
in marine, freshwater, and terrestrial ecosystems over the next 100 years
(see Sala et al. 2000, Simberloff 1996, and others).  These rankings are in
part a matter of conjecture, but we also have a great body of quantitative
knowledge on the effects of biological exchanges.  When we ask the question
'Are non-native species ecologically different from native species?' we must
be careful not to lose ourselves in semantics.  This said, there is
legitimate concern among ecologists regarding the development of a sub-field
of invasion biology that operates in isolation from other ecological
disciplines such as community ecology.  Simply put, non-native species may
have very similar ecological functions from native species and lessons
learned in community ecology should help drive our understanding of
biological invasions.  Does this mean there is not a meaningful ecological
distinction?  Absolutely not. When species are moved around and between
continents by human activities (at increasingly high rates) they often leave
behind natural predators, competitors, parasites, and diseases.  In some
cases these non-native species become troublesome, and in a small proportion
of cases very troublesome.  Thus, from a community ecology perspective
non-native species that may be functionally similar to native species may
still induce changes in food webs, nutrient cycling, etc that have far
reaching implications.  So, are exotic and native species ecologically
different...they certainly can be.  Is the distinction ecologically
meaningful...absolutely.

Scott Higgins