From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ecolo...@listserv.umd.edu] On Behalf Of Wayne Tyson
Sent: Friday, 12 November, 2010 15:19
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Taxonomy and Ecology Integrating or Disintegrating?

Honourable Forum:

Recently there was a discussion about the importance of getting nomenclature
right in ecological studies. The general conclusion was that this is
important. To me, the implication was that ecologists need taxonomists on
the team (this may or may not always or even rarely be possible), or at
least a procedure by which taxonomic accuracy can be assured.

I recently attended a lecture by a botanist of regional and international
repute who described a large project to compile a checklist of the vascular
flora of an inadequately-explored, but quite large region. It is undeniable
that this is important work, and through this person's leadership,
significant additions to knowledge of the area have been made. The lecture
included maps of "bioregions" or "ecoregions." This botanist dismissed the
value and importance of them, adding that they were the province of the
ecologists and were highly flawed (I can't quote the lecturer precisely, but
this is the best of my recollection and my distinct impression). The
lecturer essentially dismissed ecology, remarking that the lecturer was
interested only in individual plants and seemed contemptuous of ecologists
in general, and particularly those involved in establishing the ecoregions
that were a part of the lecture. I may have misunderstood, as I have long
held this person in high regard, and those remarks seemed inconsistent with
past behavior.

Do you find this state of mind to be common among taxonomists in general or
botanists in particular? Is this apparent schism real or imaginary? Other
comments?

WT

PS: During the lecture, the speaker remarked about ecological phenomena
which were not understood (no clue), but at least one reason for one
phenomenon was apparent to me. I said nothing, as the lecture had been very
long and the question period short.