Why would he care about compiling a checklist of a region if he was not
interested in geographical patterns of species distributions?

If it's pure nomenclature that he cares about, surely teaching-quality
samples with no locality info would suffice.  For that matter, why bother
looking at real organisms at all - why not just search through the botanical
nomenclature tomes and correct invalid names?

Seems crazy to me.  I - not that I'm that particularly advanced in my career
- view ecology as an integrative approach that has access to many tools for
answering research questions.  Taxonomy is one such tool, and is a
descriptive science (which is ok!) that builds the foundation for
integrative disciplines, like ecology and systematics.  It's essential to
get the names right, otherwise what beans are you counting, really, and
shouldn't you have an ethical problem with convincing people about patterns
or making laws based on the relative amounts of the different beans you've
found?

My experience to date has been with ecologists who believe in the value of
taxonomy, so I've yet to witness any schism.  But then maybe I've just been
lucky.  :)

Cheers,

Charles

--