Jason,

You may be interested in Dan Janzen's concept of the "wildland garden". See:

Janzen, D. 1998. Gardenification of wildland nature and the human footprint.
Science 279:1312-1313

and

Janzen, D. 1999. Gardenification of tropical conserved wildlands: multitasking,
multicropping, and multiusers. PNAS 96: 5987-5994.

- Jim

Jim Armacost, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Biology Department