Per Wayne's request, here are my own thoughts, and some clarifications.

First, the clarifications:
Wayne asked me to define my terms, so here goes:
Conservation -- assisting a species or ecosystem to carry on most of its
original life activities and interactions, including reproduction and dispersal.
Gardening -- keeping a species or suite of species alive, but dependent on
continued human attendance for all reproduction and dispersal (e.g., captive
breeding without successful reintroduction; hand-pollination; only those
propagules grown or reared by humans successfully establish).
Purist -- one whose ideal is the pre-human ecosystem, insofar as we can
determine what that was.
Fence -- Either a literal fence intended to prevent entry by humans, or a
delineated boundary serving the same purpose.
"Letting nature manage it" -- Ceasing human intervention, so that only
non-anthropogenic processes occur.

Obviously, given these definitions, "Building a fence around it and letting
nature manage it" is not going to happen.  Even if this policy was applied to a
given area, air and water quality entering the area would still be affected by
anthropogenic activity, and if there are populations dependent on migration
into and out of the area, or colonization from an outside source population,
the cutting off of this migration and/or colonization would itself be
anthropogenic activity.

Most of the thoughts given in the various replies went with the theme that the
current ecological reality is that the human species is an ecological and
evolutionary force, that is not going to change so long as we remain at our
current numbers/rate of growth and level of technology, so we might as well
work with that reality.  "Ye shall be as gods," the serpent said to Eve, and in
a sense, we are -- and therefore Eden is forever lost to us.  Not that most of
us would want to live in an "Eden" defined as the pre-civilization ecosystem --
our cultivated plants, domesticated animals, managed forests, and various
mining sites provide commodities few if any of us would consider optional.  I
have never met any human who would desire to return to the life of a wild
animal, even though, in the evolutionary past, that is what we were.

Thus, it would seem that, rather than strive for a "pristine" ecosystem,
conservation should focus more on a functioning ecosystem, i.e. one that
optimizes energy flow in a more or less self-sustaining way.  Of course, that
definition must be modified somewhat, because optimizing biodiversity may not
always coincide with optimizing energy flow, and biodiversity is also an
important consideration, not least because it allows for adaptation to
unforseen change.

It is intersting that bioxenophobia was mentioned.  Bioxenophobia naturally
follows from the purist position as I defined it above -- a given pre-human
ecosystem contained only those species which got there without human
intervention.  But, from an ecosystem process point of view, are the indiginous
species inherently "better" or more optimal than exotics?  For example: a Puget
Prairie site, with its suite of indiginous grasses and forbs, is converted into
what may be termed a "Eurasian Meadow" ecosystem, dominated by imported turf
grasses and their associated "weeds."  Is the "Eurasian Meadow" more or less
biodiverse?  Does it optimize energy flow to a greater or lesser degree than
the original Puget Prairie?  If so, how important is that in the larger
landscape?  Should we expend lots of resources to replace the Eurasian Meadow
with a "restored" Puget Prairie?  If we get rid of bioxenophobia, these
questions can only be answered after a lot
 more study.

In the end, I am no closer to a definite answer than any of the other
respondents.  I posed the question mostly as food for thought, which it
certainly seems to have been.

Jason Hernandez
Biological Science Technician, USDA Forest Service