My experience:

During my dissertation proposal defense, I was surprised by this debate
coming up.
I had listed my hypotheses within a powerpoint presentation as more or less
statistical hypotheses rather than explanatory ecological hypotheses. As a
'green' PhD student, I was somewhat aware of the difference, but not aware
of the debate.

One of my committee members stopped me, declaring "that is not a
hypothesis".
Another committee member replied with "yes, it is".
I sat back and let them debate it for a while, getting more and more freaked
out that I wasn't going to pass my defense. In the end, I got a 'provisional
pass' with the expectation that I convert the framework of my proposal in to
more expanatory, hypothesis-testing style.
I re-wrote - not changing my project at all, just how I presented it - and
then I was good to go.

I gave this a lot of thought as I moved forward and believe that part of
this debate is really about descriptive, natural history work vs
hypothesis-testing, rather than statistical vs ecological hypotheses (but I
do agree with Sr Spinola that both are worthwhile discussions). In most
cases, the natural history has to be done first in order to produce viable
hypotheses. Unfortunately, this is not seen as 'dissertation-worthy' by many
institutions and limits what studies can get funded and finished. In my
case, I simply did the natural history stuff simultaneously and it worked
out well.

So, in my teaching I discuss the two different types of hypotheses and the
importance of natural history to inform viable hypothesis development.

--
Dr. Elizabeth Congdon
Biology Department