Dear Manuel,

Thanks for your reply! I'll have to look up the books you recommended.

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:49 AM, Manuel Spínola <mspinol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is necessary to distinguish between statistical and scientific hypothesis.
> Statistical hypotheses is about patterns, scientific hypotheses are about
> process (they are based on "why" or "how").
>
> My experience on this topic tells me that most ecologists do not know the
> difference between the 2 kind of hypothesis.

I agree. The fact that the two are conflated so often is why I decided
to ask about them together.

> Falsification is the contribution of Karl Popper to the Hypothetic-Deductive
> method.  It has nothing to do with statistics or statistical hypothesis.
>
> The hypothetic-deductive method has been considered as "the scientific
> method", however not many people know how it works.  The hypothetic-deductive
> method is inductive and not deductive like the
> namesuggest.

Now that's an interesting comment. Popper went out of his way to avoid
induction. In fact, he actually claimed that it doesn't exist in
science! Why do you say that the hypothetico-deductive method is
actually inductive?

Best,
Jane

--
Jane Shevtsov

"In the long run, education intended to produce a molecular
geneticist, a systems ecologist, or an immunologist is inferior, both
for the individual and for society, than that intended to produce a
broadly educated person who has also written a dissertation." --John
Janovy, Jr., "On Becoming a Biologist"