Nothing in modern studies; however, many contend that natural history
is still done like back in the 19th century.  If you look at those
ancient papers you will find all kinds of pure speculation and things
that simply could never be published today.  Modern natural history,
or life history studies involve tedious work and very large sample
sizes of organisms.  Old fashioned pre-modern studies might see a bird
fly over and write about how the bird was angry or gleefully flying
about.

It is important to distinguish between what modern organismal
biologists label as natural history and what natural history was in
the day.  Natural history tends to be organism focused instead of
ecosystem focused.  Some people will lump these studies under wildlife
ecology, animal ecology, or even zoology.  In any case, I hope that
helps explain it.

You will very often hear people discuss natural history in a negative
light as if it is some kind of ancient field no longer practiced.  In
fact, they are not talking about modern life history studies but those
approaches from early times.

It is pretty interesting to note that life history ecologists are a
dying breed in that many of these involving vertebrates require a life
time to complete and that isn't well-suited to modern tenure
guidelines!  Also, they are difficult.  I recall Hobart M. Smith once
saying he didn't do life history because it was too hard!

Natural history/life history is focused on the organism's ecological
Its just a different approach to the same questions.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 8:47 PM, Wayne Tyson <landr...@cox.net> wrote:
> Ecolog:
>
> What specifically distinguishes natural history from ecology?
>
> WT
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Chew" <anek...@gmail.com>

Malcolm L. McCallum
Managing Editor,
Herpetological Conservation and Biology
"Peer pressure is designed to contain anyone with a sense of drive" -
Allan Nation

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"  W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
            and pollution.
2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
          MAY help restore populations.
2022: Soylent Green is People!

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not