Technically the "earth" is neither a biome nor an ecosystem.  The
living component is the biosphere, one  of the four sphere's of the
earth.  The others being atmosphere, hydrosphere, and lithosphere.

Biomes and ecosystems are subparts of the biosphere.

Malcolm

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Wayne Tyson <landr...@cox.net> wrote:
> Ecolog:
>
> It seems I am in need of some serious educating or I'm misunderstanding this
> post.
>
> My standard for terminology, as I have said before, is clarity. That is,
> useful terms should delineate, in non-misleading brevity, the crucial
> distinction between the phenomena described by them. If this is wrong,
> please clear this up for me.
>
> As to biomes, they seem to be quite broad and general, described by common
> indicator species, while ecosystems, large and small, like the earth and
> vernal pools, are integrated, interdependent and independent
> (self-sufficient and to a greater than lesser degree independent of other)
> systems. The two terms seem to be apples and oranges to me, both useful, but
> describing the same elephant at different scales or sections. I used to
> piddle around in puddles after rains as a child, intrigued at how fast
> tadpoles could appear magically from the dust, but I have a hard time to
> this day seeing them, unto themselves, as ecosystems.
>
> I do not see the usefulness of the distinction drawn by this post, but am
> eager to become better informed and have my present impressions corrected.
> Consistent with my own standard, I am eager to understand the crucial
> distinctions, but when they are not there I'm not sure that they should be
> invented.
>
> I'm ready to shape up.
>
> WT
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph K. Golson"
> <bio...@golsonmedia.com>

Malcolm L. McCallum
Managing Editor,
Herpetological Conservation and Biology
"Peer pressure is designed to contain anyone with a sense of drive" -
Allan Nation

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"  W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
            and pollution.
2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
          MAY help restore populations.
2022: Soylent Green is People!

The Seven Blunders of the World (Mohandas Gandhi)
Wealth w/o work
Pleasure w/o conscience
Knowledge w/o character
Commerce w/o morality
Science w/o humanity
Worship w/o sacrifice
Politics w/o principle

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not