Empirical evidence is not needed when observational evidence shows severe
and widespread adverse effects of invasive species on local systems.
Examples I know of include:
Reed Canary Grass (Phalaris arundinacea) monocultures replacing diverse
native sedge and forb wetland species mixes and reducing wildlife habitat
productivity.
Himalyan (Armenian) Blackberry (Rubus discolor) monocultures taking over
meadows, pastures and field edges and reducing native wildlife use.
Feral Horse (Equus cabalus) overuse of steppe grasslands and damage to
streambanks, increasing soil erosion and stream degradation.
Feral Pig (Suus scrufa) soil disturbance, vegetation removal and disease
transmission.
Knapweeds (Centaurea and Acroptilon spp.) taking over both disturbed and
undisturbed rangelands, replacing native grasses and forbs, and reducing
herbivory; some species also supress native grasses and forbs through
allelopathy.
Garlic mustard (Alliaria petiolata) takeover of forest floor systems by
outcompeting native species and effective allelopathy.
English and Irish Ivy (Hedera spp.) monocultural takeover of forest floor
and shrub systems, excluding native forbs and shrubs, adversely affecting
tree survival and severely reducing native wildlife use.
Cheatgrass (Bromus tectorum) invasion of rangelands outcompeting native
grasses by usurping soil water and promoting early wildfire (after which it
quickly reseeds).

As is the case with many ecological concepts, "invasive" is a subjective and
relative term and not an absolute categorization. Some may consider
dandelions to be invasive and others may say they're just a weed (another
subjective term) adding diversity to lawn monocultures -- they are seldom a
"takeover" species causing localized extirpation of native species as is the
case with too many other prolific exotics. And not all "invasives" are
non-native to a particular continent or region -- but they are usually and
typically non-native to a particular adversely affected ecosystem.

My conclusion: There have been successes in invasive control (e.g., tansy
ragwort), and there are numerous cases where lack of control efforts will
seriously deplete natural system diversity and value (both ecological and
economic).  All of the species I've listed above, and many more, are worth
controlling or eliminating, and not all of this effort will make Monsanto
richer.

Warren W. Aney
Senior Wildlife Ecologist
Tigard, Oregon