This is a troubling thread to me in far too many respects. I'll do my best to
brief.

I would argue that Mr. Cruzan misses a big point that WT points to. Species do
expand their ranges, yes. BUT, they will only do so into conditions that favor
them. Sure, speciation will create others. But, what constitutes a "successful"
species? A species, within a group, that has the largest range and broadest
niche breadth? If dispersal and random chance were the limiting factors in all
species' distributions, then "everything" would be "everywhere". How would we
be able to show in say, NMDS analyses, that ph drives a species' occurrence at
certain sites? How many species, in say, the plant kingdom, have shown to
expand their ranges northward following the retreat of glaciers, while others
languish in glacial refugium?

I couldnt agree more with the statement of preserving natural processes and not
systems. However, my understanding is that certain processes are in no way
"natural" when they are impinged upon by species that have been introduced by
man and cause immeasurable damage to trophic interactions within a normally
coevolving system. I should be ashamed as  Wisconsinite to not have to the
quote tattooed on my hand, but Aldo Leopold's line about "the first rule of
intelligent tinkering is to keep all the parts". Sure, we've given up on
Dandelions, and many others, but that's CERTAINLY no reason to just throw up
our hands in "invasives" defeat. I wouldn't even begin to claim even remote
knowledge of every invaded system, but surely we could and have set parameters
on how to measure invasiveness. The idea of "pre-settlement" has changed. It's
much less of a "setting the clock back to a frontier state because we want big
trees again", and more of an idea of trying to restore SOME SEMBLANCE of a
region of working systems. Up here in the north, we clear cut EVERYTHING a
hundred years ago. South of us, there's not much left for praries, but there's
LOTS of corn and soybean farms. C'mon folks, lets be real here. The whole
sciences of Conservation Biology, Resource Management and Forestry (to name a
few) were spawned in hopes of devising ways of bringing back to some
respectable state, that which we have destroyed and denuded (or nearly so).
These sciences, as all science is designed to do, evolves.

So are we okay with deforestation of Madagascar? Should we write off Hawaii and
whats left of its endemic species? All this talk of "letting nature take its
course" smacks too much of the "god will provide" idea in the Bible.

Please correct me on or off list.

Best-
Eric

Eric North