To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2011 11:11 PM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] a non Ivory Tower view of invasive species

Wayne, it would seem to be as simple as this:  a stand of junipers has
greater biomass and a deeper root system than a flora composed of grasses,
forbs and scattered shrubs.  As a result the stand of juniper transpires
more water from more levels than its counterpart biota. However, the
observed effect of juniper removal on springs and streams is primarily
anecdotal, as you said.

Oregon's Great Basin ranges were heavily overgrazed starting way back in the
late 19th century.  The increase in juniper cover has occurred since then,
primarily as a result of reduced fire carrying forage species.

You can find out much more than you probably want to know about this in the
2005 Oregon State University Technical Bulletin 152, Biology, Ecology, and
Management of Western Juniper.

http://www.sagebrushsea.org/pdf/Miller_et_al_Juniper_Tech_Bulletin.pdf

This publication will answer your questions about pre-fire-exclusion stand
characteristics, management practices, and causes for increased juniper
recruitment. It will informs us that cow pies have little or no effect -
juniper seeds spread by birds, not cattle.

Warren W. Aney

Tigard, Oregon