I can't speak directly to the question of whether the classes provide adequate
coverage of any given topic.  Consulting the AP web site confirms your
suspicion that ecology coverage comes last in the course.  And of course,
whether any given topic is covered adequately is strictly dependent on the
school and the teacher, not the topical listing on the web site.  I can say,
from having served as a grader for the AP Biology exam, that ecology is well
covered on the exam.

That said, I also suspect that ecology may be a subject that gets less than
full
coverage in some of the classes because of sequencing.  Also, it is typically
covered in most intro biology courses late in the second semester if a two
semester course.  So, if you are wanting to assign credit according to coverage
(seems to make sense), the proposal to give credit for the ecology portion of
your course may be out of sync with the sequencing in the AP course.

FWIW, I have long had a problem with AP coursework.  Many schools likely do a
good job with it -- but, and I know, I am an old school curmudgeon -- if these
kids are ready for college, just send them to college.  If they are not ready,
don't let a high school offer them college level courses.  But of course, that
is a fight long ago lost.

mcneely

--
David McNeely