I thank those who have offered suggestions to explain the cost increases in
higher education, but from what I can see, they don't add up to enough to
explain the 14-fold increases we have seen since the seventies.  My small,
private liberal arts college is undergraduate only, and so most of its
focus is on teaching, not research, and thus increasing regulation and
costs of research do not apply.  Decent personal computers cost less than a
thousand dollars and are usually supplied by the student.  Presumably the
institution can acquire and provide internet access more cheaply than a
home owner can, so that can't be a very large part of the cost increase.
Faculty wages may have gone up, but most institutions still maintain very
exploitative hiring practices, limiting tenure and stringing young
professionals along as part-time adjuncts or in full-time but low-paid
positions, keeping them interested with the carrot of maybe someday
reaching a tenure-track position.  Other cost factors, such as health-care
coverage, apply to the entire economy and so don't effect colleges and
universities more than other sectors that still supply coverage for
employees.  Are more and better-paid administrators really sucking down the
bulk of the 40-plus thousand dollars paid per student per year?

Still hoping for more explanation....

Martin M. Meiss