Ryan,

Perhaps, your experience is very typical. Looking at the ESA website on Ecology
career, http://www.esa.org/education_diversity/webDocs/undergraduate.php
The website sites ecologist jobs for
BS degree:  Intern, field/research technician, research assistant: majority of
those are temp/seasonal job.
MS degree:  community college prof, research assistant, environmental
manager/consultant, natural resource manager, field ecologist, wildlife
biologist: Decent positions.

Many state/federal government agencies (Fish & Game, Fish & wildlife) hire
people that focus primarily on fieldwork and reporting such as baseline
ecological evaluations, species identification (though many of them could be
seasonal).  However, from an employer's perspective, graduates from ecology
degree are competing with graduates from fishery and wildlife management
degrees who are more trained with practical fieldworks and understandings of
resource management.   Many graduates from those degrees also have already
worked with the agency through school-agency tied internship/co-op programs.
Private sector is also the same story.    They are looking for people with
practical experiences and skills.   Unfortunately, it is often the case that
ecology graduates don't have practical skills and experiences.

You can see the clear differences by comparing job postings at

Ecological Society of America, where 18 positions are posted, most of which are
academic with phD required.
http://www.esa.org/careers_certification/jobLists.php

and
American Fisheries Society, where 120 positions are posted, from BS degree to
phD, from agencies, academics, privates.
http://www.fisheries.org/afs/jobpage.php

Toshihide "Hamachan" Hamazaki, 濱崎俊秀PhD
Alaska Department of Fish and Game: アラスカ州漁業野生動物課
Division of Commercial Fisheries: 商業漁業部
333 Raspberry Rd.  Anchorage, AK 99518
Phone:  (907)267-2158
Cell:  (907)440-9934