Ecolog:

Methinks the battles over semantics in ecology be oft over-strained, and thus serve to distract the issues concerned rather than increase understanding and bring clarity. We all might benefit from a reduced fascination with our mirrors and a reduction in king-of-the-mountain games. Hence we often miss the mud-encased gems drawn from our cloddy rhetoric.

Chew may well be engaged in some question-begging, but we can set that aside while we consider his attention to principle:

"It remains arguable whether ecological communities are much more than an
instantaneous reflection of the contingencies of the story of life on earth
so far. That story from here on out will likewise entail whatever happens
next." --Matt Chew

I believe I mentioned this, though my statement could not hold a candle to Chew's more elegant prose. So barring any question-begging of my own, I must agree with Chew on this one.

But here he may be straining against a ghost-horse; at least he did not quote examples from the alleged offending text at which he swats, apparently preferring to magnify the monster while ignoring the statements which align with his point.

"But apply any metaphor you like (restoration, turning the clock
back, putting the toothpaste back into the tube, putting Humpty Dumpty back
together again) what happens next is not going to be a repeat of what
happened before, and we can never look forward with clarity or confidence
beyond simple, proximate causes and effects."

Yes, of course "we" cannot "put the toothpaste back into the tube," but we can, as Wendell Berry once put it, ". . . increase the possibility of life on earth, rather than to diminish it." That may be "nostalgic yearning," but it might also be a cause and an effect promoted by a species concerned with its future.

So somewhere between ignoring the effects of culture (or endorsing them as "just part of the ecosystem") upon ecosystems and re-forming culture to correct its mistakes by a process we have come to call "restoration," may lie some truth that has not yet jelled in our individual and collective minds.

Yea, we can argue 'till Hell freezes over, we can posture until we turn to salt, but we also have the option of trying very hard to understand what we really mean rather than reinforcing the semantic fences that divide us.

We can start by carefully considering Chew's remarks even if we may not be quite sure what the 'ell 'e's talkin' about. In any case, we might be well-advised to cite the text to which our comments actually refer rather than indulging in vague allusions containing at least a bit of straw . . .

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Chew" <anek...@gmail.com>