Hi All,

I have funding to support a Masters student for two years, ideally
beginning in early August of this year. The student will enroll in the
Biology Department Masters Program at Loyola University Chicago (
http://www.luc.edu/biology/ms.shtml), and work on their research in my lab.

The first goal of the project is to assemble a database of all known
occurrences of non-native aquatic species in the state of Illinois. Many
databases currently exist, but they are all limited to smaller geographic
areas and/or taxonomic groups. We will assemble a comprehensive database
and make it publicly available. This portion of the project will require
extensive consultation with scientists across the state, and likely some
travel. I anticipate that it will take 6-9 months to complete.

The remainder of the project will be to analyze the database, with the
exact methods and questions are not yet fixed. Potential questions include
the role of various vectors in the introduction and transport of species,
or examining the role of the Chicago Waterway System in facilitating the
movement of species between the Great Lakes and Mississippi Basins. I will
work with the student to decide upon questions that are interesting to both
of us, and publishable. There will also be the opportunity to contribute to
a revision of the Illinois Aquatic Nuisance Species Management Plan.

I am particularly interested in students who have experience in database
management, GIS, and/or multi-variate statistics. However, these are not
essential.

The project includes full stipend for two years, funding to attend a
conference in the second year, and funds for any additional required travel.

To apply, please send a statement of interest, current CV, and the names of
two references to me at rkell...@luc.edu. Review of applications will begin
immediately.

If you have any questions, please contact me at rkell...@luc.edu

Reuben Keller