I'm also a proponent of the application of fuzzy thinking and fuzzy set mathematics to ecology. Clearly, binary thinking should be avoided in ecology because very little (none ?) ecosytems parts obey black/white rules like human beings like to apply on anything. Classifications are a necessity for human being but not for natural elements. I think that if we really want to evaluate ecosystem functioning we must recognize and take into account in our mathematical measures the fuzziness of Nature. Binary categorization (like some biological traits) should be applied at the end of our calculus processes.

Nicolas

Le Sat, 29 Sep 2012 06:55:58 +0200, Wayne Tyson <landr...@cox.net> a écrit:

I tend to be even fuzzier-- Fuzzy Philosophy: A Foundation for Interneted Ecology? This became my retirement talk at the SERCAL annual meeting.

WT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicolas PERU" <nicolas.p...@univ-lyon1.fr>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 12:57 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Visualizing functional diversity

Dear Wayne,

In my point of viewn, ecosystem functions directly refer to how energy
flows are shaped through ecosystem and how they allow ecosystem to
maintain by themselves (without human intervention this time). So, when we
measure a functional diversity we try to evaluate the number of different
ways a given energy flow can be realized. One aim is to link living
communities diversities to ecosystem functioning (energy flow) and so
define how organisms participate to the success of energy transfer.

This is a quite fuzzy and very general definition but I hope this helps.

Regards,

Nicolas