In Darwin's "Origin" the theory was one of adaptation, not advancement.
Unfortunately Spencer coined the "fittest" remark and that was a popular mode
of thinking at the time - when people were rather self-congratulatory about
their scientific understandings of the natural world (how clever!).
So, evolution was originally meant as an adaptation to the chance environment.
It may or may not have been 'better' than the previous model, but it survived
through chance, and we assume, advantage. This doesn't necessarily make it
advantageous throughout time.

I'm sure we can all come up with improvements to the human body ;).
Liz