To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Tree stump removal in sensitive area

The number of people killed by falling trees each year isn't really the
information we need. That number could be low because few decayed trees
kill (or severely injure) people or because there are few such trees in
populated areas.

What we really want to know is the probability that a decayed tree will
fall on somebody (or come close) when it eventually falls, given that it is
in an area frequented by people. We can guesstimate this by finding out
what fraction of the time there are people in the tree's fall zone [[some fraction of 360 degrees? WT]], adjusting for any inaccessible areas/directions. (Yes, this ignores things
like weather, but that's what makes it a back-of-the envelope estimate.)
Suppose there are no inaccessible areas around the tree and there are
people near it about 1/4 of the time. Then the probability of a hit or near
miss when the tree eventually falls is 1/4 -- quite substantial in my eyes.
Adjusting for weather and time of day or treefall may reduce it to 5% or
10%, which is not small considering the stakes. [[There are lots of factors to be considered in tree hazard potential assessment, but this is an excellent start. The task is to decide which tree is definitely hazardous and which trees are not obviously hazardous, and back-of-the-envelope WAGs and SWAGs will do for starters. The objective of tree hazard assessment is to get the "low-hanging fruit" (yuk, yuk!) or top priorities first, then work on the more marginally-hazardous ones next, and so on . . . WT]]

Some might object to this calculation, saying that it could be used to
justify the removal of any urban trees. But the chances of a randomly
chosen urban tree falling in the near future are very small and we can
generally detect the conditions [[Yes, but sometimes the reasons are so well-hidden that no one could have detected the defect. I used to do "post-mortems" on urban trees, and one that looked "normal" turned out to have been planted years in the past (by a famous horticulturist) in a "rootbound" condition--a major root had wound around the other main structural or "tap" root at the bole and in effect "squeezed" it (prevented its lateral expansion) to the point that it could no longer support the tree and it broke off more than a foot below the soil surface. WT]] that make a tree likely to fall. The
estimate above only makes sense for a tree that we know is likely to fall
in the near future. If you wanted to, you could multiply the probability by
an estimate of the probability of the tree falling in the next ten years
(or whatever the time horizon of interest is), which the calculation above
assumes to be 100%. [[Some trees are obviously going to fall sooner rather than later; for example when there is excessive lean, or when stress cracks appear in the soil. No one can know when the tree will fall because we have no present means of which I am aware that can measure the stress on roots without increasing the failure potential. But if tree managers were allowed to follow a kind of triage system where those considered most likely to fall were preemptively removed, the number of falling trees, and thus the total hazard, could be reduced, not eliminated. WT]]

Jane Shevtsov