Hazardous trees are a difficult subject to explain when talking to people.
Trees that are diseased or
structurally sound can be very dangerous to life and property, in fact that
what make them hazardous;
having a 'target' of property or any area frequented by people.   And as has
been stated before, when
a tree that is hazardous that has been identified as such by a professional
there is a clear
responsibility to do something about it.   The law is not on the side of anyone
that ignores the
existence of a hazardous tree should it fall and injure or kill someone.   I
have seen many trees
though that I would deem potentially hazardous that stand for many years.  That
being said, it is
impossible to say with 100% certainty if and when a tree will fall.   Erring on
the side of caution is
probably the best policy.   Especially if you have an obligation to the
public's safety as most municipal
arborists have.

Some members of the public, and I'm not saying anyone on this thread does,
don't see trees as living
things with a limited lifespan.   They, in the case of large trees especially,
have 'always' been there.
The fact that a mature tree may be at the end of it's lifespan and under stress
from competition or
from environmental factors could be susceptible to diseases or insects is not
known to them.  It's a
matter of continually educating people and helping them understand trees don't
live forever.