Ok, what's your plan?

WT

PS: My wife got conned by a production company doing work for the Discovery Channel several years ago, thinking they were doing legitimate scientific journalism, and I got conned into shooting some video for them (for which I never got a cent). Never since and never again. That's our contribution--saying no to the production companies' requests for interviews and footage. Y'all may have noticed how they (used to) start off with some legitimate scientists sincerely believing that they were serving legitimate science education, but ended up being cut into a pseudoscience film. Some have repeated the error and some have refused to touch any kind of "educational" filmmaking, as the scientist has no control over the final outcome. How many people on this list have gotten "taken" by these smooth-talking production companies and have consented to be interviewed for what turned out to be something that they would never have consented to be a part of, had they known what the outcome would be in advance?

----- Original Message ----- From: "malcolm McCallum" <malcolm.mccal...@herpconbio.org>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:20 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Bigfoot footage in TX (gag me).

Look, these folks are posing as researchers, sucking up soft money
(yes, they are) to do this stuff, getting publicity on such channels
as Discovery.  Now, when a bunch of yahoo charlatans start doing this
sort of thing it degrades science by confusing the public about what
is and is not science, who is and is not doing science, and what is
and is not credible evidence.  When you degrade science in this manner
it also interferes with all aspects of society because now logic is
overcome with nonsense and the more nonsense is promoted as logic, the
more people who ultimately start to think in illogical ways leading to
poor decisions in all aspects of life, including politics and cast
votes.  When illogical paths are taken in choosing candidates and
casting votes, we end up with poor candidates who approve non-science
and anti-science bills.

THese little things do matter.   They are a virus, a plague on society
that is every bit as damaging to its inner workings as political
corruption.  They must be stomped out and scientists should come out
in force and do so by very clearly, adamantly, directly and bluntly
discounting their claims as junk (not junk science) and charlatanism.

Malcolm