My read of the original paper by Brickney is that technical/analytical
skills are very important. Looking at their PCA, most of the variation lies
on a spectrum of technical/analytical/field experience to project
management/interpersonal.  Despite comments on this listserv, both hard and
soft skills seem to be important.

Also, the analysis only explains 60% of the variation, which is a vast
amount in a job-market that has a lot of highly specialized duties and
highly diverse workplaces. Ecology-related job places are astounding in how
different they are.

Lots of banter about GIS. I'd like to throw in my two-cents: everything in
ecology has a space-time context, and colleagues without basic GIS
facilities are frustratingly difficult to work or communicate with. Second,
if you are serious about working with large ecological data or serious
about taking up GIS, beware of courses that amount to little more than ESRI
tutorials and set you up with a platform of limitation and disappointment.
Even at the highest echelons of ArcMastery (and expensive licenses), you'll
inevitably end up having to tell your superiors that you couldn't complete
such-and-such a task because 'ArcGIS doesn't do that.' (But hey, that's a
good looking map!) Getting really good at ArcGIS is like becoming a master
of Macromedia right before Flash came out: they jump from Avenue, to VB, to
Python, to .... ?

Instead, if you use R for GIS, there is always a way to do what you want.
It may be difficult, but mastering R for a difficult GIS task yields
transferable skills in a host of disciplines. It used to be a huge pain,
but recent libraries like 'rgeos' (mixed with 'rgdal' and 'raster') give
users most of the cookie-cutter facilities familiar to ESRI users. And its
free.

Rob
On Feb 17, 2013 6:04 PM, "Wayne Tyson" <landr...@cox.net> wrote:

> Ecolog:
>
> It's just interesting that the number-one skill required for ecology is
> GIS. Now I know why I was such a failure!
>
> Well, on second thought, I guess I shouldn't place all the blame on the
> absence of GIS skills (and the absence of GIS at the time). I "sucked" at
> statistics too--but what the hell, statisticians need jobs too, no?
>
> So after I got out of the military, I took Business Administration and a
> few courses of Public Administration, but the latter I had to learn mostly
> on-the-job--no college can prepare one for the absurdities of
> "administration" and "management" in bureaucracies, government and private.
>
> I took business law. 'Nuff said.
>
> I was no chemist, molecular biologist, or microbiologist either, so I
> hired them when I needed them. The smidgen of those subjects I knew about
> was often enough to get by without them, but I sure do wish that I had had
> more of them, and WAY more geology.
>
> Margaret Mead once said that "the most important thing to know is what you
> don't know."
> That concept took off any pressure to be an APC (all-purpose capsule), to
> know EVERYTHING, and worse, to BELIEVE it. Ever notice how many people DO
> know everything?
>
> But SHOULD your objective be focused entirely upon getting a job and
> fighting your way up the pyramid? Well, you'll need a job, of course, but
> if that's all you're focused on, that's all you'll ever have. Academic
> training can be a valuable thing, but it's only a START--even at the Ph.D.
> level. (Howls and screams.) You have to get to the point where "everything"
> seems to fall into place, and you come to UNDERSTAND how things work. (See
> "Breaking Through," The Ed Ricketts biography by Katherine A. Rodger, and
> "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out" by Richard Feynman. "The Log From the
> Sea of Cortez" by John Steinbeck (and Ricketts) is also a great read, as is
> the entire book, "The Sea of Cortez" by the same author(s).) Read widely.
> Experience widely.
>
> Don't waste your life; do what you're passionate about. Have expectations
> of yourself if you want, but don't waste your life having expectations of
> others. If you're not passionate, get an MBA and get rich.
>
> WT
>
> "The worst kinda ignerance ain't so much not knowin', a 'tis knowin' so
> much that ain't so? --"Josh Billings"
>
> "They tell us we are wasting time--but we are wasting our LIVES!" --Eric
> Hoffer
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "malcolm McCallum" <
> malcolm.mccallum@HERPCONBIO.**ORG <malcolm.mccal...@herpconbio.org>>

>>> transferrable [marketable!] to the table that no-one else brings to the
>>> table...
>>> 4. ...often this "something" is one or more quantitative skill...
>>> 5. ...or, skill in a fundamental or "hot" area of research w long-term
>>> potential...
>>> 6. ...or, a grant...